[Interest] Legal: Using Qt examples in commercial closed source applications

Bo Thorsen bo at vikingsoft.eu
Mon Jun 22 14:59:23 CEST 2015

Den 22-06-2015 kl. 14:45 skrev Rainer Wiesenfarth:
> We would like to include a code snippet of the Qt examples in our commercial
> closed source application. The file containing this code is published under
> the BSD license. We ourselves hold commercial licenses of Qt.
>
> Question: Do we have to follow the BSD license terms, namely the
> "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
> this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
> and/or other materials provided with the distribution." or is this covered
> by our commercial license?

Must be said: IANAL.

There's no way the QtCompany lawyers will allow you to relicense parts
of Qt as BSD code, so you can't copy the code into that file.

Copying Qt code parts to your own code is a very grey area and I wish
there would be some sort of guidelines from QtC about what they allow.
But I can understand why they don't do this - there are multiple and
very ugly cans of worms waiting for them if they would do it.

The best way to do this is usually to place the code in a separate
library with a very clear license.

Bo Thorsen,
Director, Viking Software.

--