[Interest] Legal: Using Qt examples in commercial closed source applications

Rainer Wiesenfarth Rainer_Wiesenfarth at Trimble.com
Mon Jun 22 15:10:48 CEST 2015

From: Bo Thorsen

> Den 22-06-2015 kl. 14:45 skrev Rainer Wiesenfarth:
> > We would like to include a code snippet of the Qt examples in our
> > commercial closed source application. The file containing this code is
> > published under the BSD license. We ourselves hold commercial licenses
of
> > Qt.
> >
> > Question: Do we have to follow the BSD license terms, namely the
> > "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> > documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."
> > or is this covered by our commercial license?
>
> There's no way the QtCompany lawyers will allow you to relicense parts of
Qt
> as BSD code, so you can't copy the code into that file.
> [...]

Just for clarification: The files in the Qt example directory
(qtbase/examples/widgets/layouts/flowlayout/flowlayout.*) do contain the BSD
license text, so we do NOT relicense Qt code under a BSD license, but would
like to use BSD-licensed Qt code in a closed source commercial application.

Thus we need to know if we, as commercial licensees, may use the FlowLayout
class without mentioning this fact in documentation...

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Rainer Wiesenfarth

--
Software Engineer | Trimble Geospatial
Rotebühlstraße 81 | 70178 Stuttgart | Germany

Trimble Germany GmbH, Am Prime Parc 11, 65479 Raunheim
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Darmstadt unter HRB 83893,
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Frank Heimberg, Hans-Jürgen Gebauer