[Interest] Fwd: [OS X] bearer plugins leading invalid UTF8 messages from IOUnserialize?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:32:23 CEST 2015

Hi,

Bumping a question I already asked a while back that remains unanswered:

I have a very strong impression that Qt's bearer plugins lead to bad
UTF-8 errors from IOUnserialize . I haven't been able to set a
breakpoint until now to determine when and where this occurs exactly.
I cannot even remember how I found the supposed link with the bearer
plugins, but I can confirm that when the apps that log this kind of
error stop doing so when they're (re)started after removing the bearer
plugins (= compressing them).

An example, the Viber desktop app for OS X I just downloaded and that
comes with its own embedded Qt5 :

Jun 30 12:32:56 Portia.local Viber[4247]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has
detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, ""W ³".
Jun 30 12:33:26 --- last message repeated 191 times ---
Jun 30 12:33:26 Portia.local Viber[4247]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has
detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, ""W ³".
Jun 30 12:33:56 --- last message repeated 191 times ---

I quit it and compressed the embedded bearer plugins, and the log
messages stopped.

FWIW: I have WiFi deactivated, and even with WiFi activated the
message is always the same, regardless of where I am (= what hotspots
are available to me). The invalid string is always {'"', "W", 0x07,
0xb3} (and I presume the presence of the BEL character is what causes
the error).

Any thoughts what might be causing this (or how to avoid it without
disabling the bearer plugins) would be appreciated!

René