[Interest] [OT] Re: Bounties?

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Fri Mar 13 09:29:22 CET 2015

El Friday 13 March 2015, Till Oliver Knoll escribió:

> >> We have to ignore patches as attachments to bug reports if they are non-
> >> trivial. If you want the patch to be processed, submit it via the code
> >> review
> >
> >> system. To get started:
> > I'm beginning to understand why it costs a flat-rate small fortune to
> > have even a trivial bug solved and committed by KDab...

A trivial bug doesn't cost a fortune. A trivial bug can be fixed by anyone on
their spare time. The main cost of getting your first contribution to Qt,
unless you are under some draconian corporate contract, is the technical one
of learning how to use Git and Gerrit properly. If what you are contributing
is hard, then that part might have more cost.

> Blame the lawyers ;)
>
> My understanding of that review system is not just, well, that your
> proposed changes get reviewed in a formal way, but by registering with
> that system you also formally give your consent that all your rights on
> the code go over to Digia, so they can incorporate the changes into their
> (possibly also closed source) commercial solutions (and off course you
> confirm that you had the rights in the first place).

IANAL, but as I understand it is that you have still your copyright (as you'll
see in the sources that were added from scratch by non-trolls), but you grant
Digia/TQtC the right to relicense under a different license. This has the (to
me) bad side effect of allowing to relicense under proprietary, but the good
one of allowing a relicense under an upgraded license, and to keep the right
to fullfill the agreement with the KDE Free Qt Foundation:

https://www.kde.org/community/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php

Other (arguable) good side effect, is that if TQtC is a bit more successful
company because of the license sales, they will keep working on Qt, and there
will always be free Qt due to the agreement with the KDE Free Qt Foundation.

But well, we are probably digressing, since this has been discussed a thousand
times. :)

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2