[Interest] Bounties?

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at theqtcompany.com
Fri Mar 13 09:40:33 CET 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only successful bounty systems I'm aware of are for finding (security related) bugs, not fixing bugs or developing features.

The devil with bounty systems is in the details: Who decides when a bounty should be paid out? How do you ensure it's actually paid? How do you avoid races between multiple competitors for a bounty? What if multiple people are involved in a fix? Etc.

It also strikes me as something that might introduce unhealthy competition and secrecy in a process that should be as inclusive and cooperative as possible.

For some discussion about (shortcomings of) bounty systems see also

https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/status-quo-floss#bounties

That said, I agree that the current 'voting' system in JIRA is of somewhat limited use. Quite naturally, annoyances that  a lot of people hit (and that are easy to search for) are up-voted, while other, more serious issues that however affect only a limited number of people might not get this attention.  If you've anything meaningful to add to a ticket it's IMO better to comment on it.

Regards

Kai