[Interest] Bounties?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Mar 13 11:02:47 CET 2015

Koehne Kai schreef op 13-3-2015 om 10:35:

> [...]
Neither do I. But multiple of those pledges attached to a single bug may
be interesting enough. If not for TQtC, then perhaps for a student
somewhere looking to earn some pocket money with his hobby...

I am by no means convinced that it will work, but I do think that it may
stand a chance if it would be properly integrated into the system.
Outside sites, spread around all over the place, IMHO have little chance
to work for this. It may however be possible to seek cooperation with an
organization offering this to handle the execution of payments and the
likes, yet integrating it into the issuetracker?

>> But I could easily invest some bucks
>> into the most annoying issues to make them rise in priority. This also would
>> prevent "unhealthy competition" and "secrecy"
>> because the official Issue tracker could be used to coordinate efforts (by
>> assigning it to some person willing to resolve the issue and setting the state
>> to "In Progress" so no other people start working on it in parallel).
>> Still the community would be involved and could decide to fix the bug taking
>> the money as a bonus.
>>
>> As you said the current votes are pretty much worthless. But maybe such
>> "super-votes" aka bounties could be more useful. Actually I can't see much
>> harm in trying it.
> Whenever actual money has to be transferred world-wide it IMO will be considerable effort.

Indeed, that is problematic. I think integrating with a party who can
offer such services already would be the only option to handle this
efficiently.

André