[Interest] Deploying QMultimedia

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 14:20:25 CET 2015

On 28 March 2015 at 16:31, Bernhard <private at bernhard-lindner.de> wrote:
> Yes that quick and dirty way is what I did. Aka try-and-error. But apart
> from the that it is kind of unprofessional there may arise compatibility
> problems. The fact that the software runs on my system with the chosen
> plugins does not make sure that it runs on other systems too.

Did you follow Step #3 in the wiki? If not, your application most
likely loaded DLLs from your dev folder which were missing from your
app folder.

> Maybe it needs different plugins in different situations?

As long as you distribute the same executable and DLLs to all of your
users, your application will always try to load the same Qt plugins.
The requirements on the Qt side won't change.

However, the multimedia plugins are a bit complicated because some
features are OS-dependent. For example, Microsoft didn't provide XP
support in Windows Media Foundation, so you can't deploy wmfengine.dll
to XP machines. And if I'm not mistaken, WMF only partially supports
Vista too.

> I refuse to include them all only for being on the safe side.

Agreed, that's a bad way to do things.

> It would be nice to know more about the plugins.

You might be interested in https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Multimedia_Backends

Regards,
Sze-Howe