[Interest] Qt 5.4.x QML Quick2 OSX STANDARD framework deployments documentation missing

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Sat May 9 09:26:33 CEST 2015

> Am 09.05.2015 um 03:01 schrieb mark diener <rpzrpzrpz at gmail.com>:
>
> Found a reference to the issue to install into /Library/Qt directory and install-name-tool :

Just be aware that this is /very/ unusual for OS X apps to do: the expected way is really that each app bundle is self-contained and links against "system provided frameworks" (Cocoa and friends). Even if that means that each application brings along its own Qt libs...

Needless to say that the former approach needs an "installer" (which is discouraged very much by Apple) and you run into issues when users want to get rid of one of your applications: "Who is the last to remove the shared Qt libraries"?

And what happens if a user installs an older app, possibly overwriting a newer shared Qt library? Your installer needs to do a version check etc. to solve this.

And it goes without saying that your applications will never make it into the Mac App Store that way - if that's what you want.

On the other hand if we're talking about some "in-house tools" which are deployed in a controlled manner then this is a fine approach :)

Just some thoughts...

Cheers,
  Oliver