[Interest] "Dynamic session lookup supported but failed"

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri May 15 19:19:00 CEST 2015

On Friday 15 May 2015 09:53:46 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing this message printed on my terminal when I start Qt5 applications
> under certain conditions, on OS X:
>
> Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
> socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!

This means you used QtDBus, which tried to connect to the bus daemon, which
was compiled with support for launchd but the .plist file wasn't loaded into
launchd.

> Before I start hunting that string down in the Qt source code: is there a
> way for an application to indicate that it has no business with the DBus or
> any other kind of session lookup?

No. If you use the D-Bus session bus, it will try to connect. There's no way
to force it to fail (outside of unit tests).

> If not: does Qt use DBus/"dynamic session
> lookup" behind the scenes to implement certain functionality that the user
> might miss even in a purely standalone application?

Yes. It requires loading the .plist file into launchd.

But since Qt doesn't ship with the daemon, the D-Bus libraries or the .plist
file, the problem here is that your system *does* have them but didn't configure
them. Why do you have the D-Bus library somewhere that QtDBus could find it but
didn't configure it properly?