[Interest] QProgressBar::reset... when it doesn't

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 20 16:54:59 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-20 00:41, Constantin Makshin wrote:
> Doesn't look like a bug to me. The description of QProgressBar::reset()
> says:
>> The progress bar "rewinds" and shows no progress.
>
> Indeterminate progress bars have no progress/value by definition so
> there's nothing to reset. I admit that setting a non-zero range just to
> "disable" a progress bar looks a bit ugly but QProgressBar::reset()
> works as intended IMHO.

I disagree. I read "shows no progress" as just that, *including* the "I
am doing something but don't know how long it will take" 'progress'.
That is, I expect reset() to make the progress bar "inactive", as it is
when newly constructed. That is, after all, the obvious interpretation
of "reset".

Right now, it fails to do that under some conditions. To me that's a
clear cut bug.

If you take "rewinds" literally, then reset() should be a synonym for
setValue(minimum()), which it isn't :-).

--
Matthew