[Interest] libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo/mozjpeg

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:46:55 CEST 2015

On Saturday May 23 2015 16:37:23 Mark Gaiser wrote:

> So mozjpeg is out for the general jpeg purpose.

Some MacPorts people seem to think it can be used as such, but it'd be the end-user's choice, so I have no issue with that.

> That leaves jpeg-turbo which is basically jpeg only with much improved
> encode/decode performance. In general, jpeg-turbo should suffice wherever
> you want to use jpeg images. One thing to note with jpeg-turbo is anything
> that is using SmartScale (from jpeg 8+) won't work with it.

Are you sure that's already in jpeg v8? I got the impression it was introduced with v9, and that libjpeg-turbo's v8 emulation is complete.

The "turbo author(s)" also take care to point out that ABI compatibility (with jpeg v6 + two emulation layers) doesn't mean that the rendered result is identical. That would be another justification for me to keep libjpeg around in co-installable form, but that's probably too unrelated to Qt to discuss on here.

R.