[Interest] libjpeg vs. libjpeg-turbo/mozjpeg

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:53:47 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday May 23 2015 16:37:23 Mark Gaiser wrote:
>
> > So mozjpeg is out for the general jpeg purpose.
>
> Some MacPorts people seem to think it can be used as such, but it'd be the
> end-user's choice, so I have no issue with that.
>
> > That leaves jpeg-turbo which is basically jpeg only with much improved
> > encode/decode performance. In general, jpeg-turbo should suffice wherever
> > you want to use jpeg images. One thing to note with jpeg-turbo is
> anything
> > that is using SmartScale (from jpeg 8+) won't work with it.
>
> Are you sure that's already in jpeg v8? I got the impression it was
> introduced with v9, and that libjpeg-turbo's v8 emulation is complete.
>
> I'm as sure as the wiki page that states it [1] :)
Quote:
"... the libjpeg-turbo Project has chosen to forgo emulating libjpeg v9.[11]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libjpeg#cite_note-v9turbo-11> Therefore,
SmartScale files created by libjpeg v8 and later will not be decompressed
correctly by libjpeg-turbo."

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libjpeg#libjpeg-turbo