[Interest] qmake's visual studio generator does not handle recursive subdir templates

Roland Winklmeier roland.m.winklmeier at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 20:09:24 CET 2015

Dear list,

I hope you can help me in a topic I hit some days ago and cannot find a
proper answer myself.

I'm working together with a team on a medium complex project. Our build
system is qmake and since some of us had previous experience with cmake,
we introduced a project structure with subdirs. It looks similar to the
following:

project.pro (subdirs)
|-- src.pro (subdirs)
    |-- lib1.pro (lib)
    |-- lib2.pro (lib)
    |-- plugins.pro (subdirs)
        |-- plugin1.pro (lib)
        |-- plugin2.pro (lib)
[...]

I think you get the idea. Each folder in turn includes its subfolders,
for example:
SUBDIRS += lib1 lib2 plugins

This gives us a nice hierarchical structure and all works nicely as long
as we use QtCreator. But some of us prefer to use native IDE's like
Visual Studio. When trying to create a Visual Studio solution from the
above (with qmake -tp vc -spec win32-msvc2013 -r), a *.sln is created
for each subdirs template instead of tracking them as child projects. So
project.sln does not contain any projects.

Do we hit a missing feature/bug in qmake or is it me using the subdirs
template incorrect?
I got the idea from qtbase which also has recursive subdirs.

Is there anything I can do about it? We are trying to find a workaround,
but so far without luck.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers R.

---