[Interest] qmake's visual studio generator does not handle recursive subdir templates

Scott Aron Bloom scott at towel42.com
Mon Nov 23 21:19:03 CET 2015

Are you running qmake with -recursive?

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Interest [mailto:interest-bounces at qt-project.org] On Behalf Of Roland Winklmeier
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 11:09 AM
To: interest at qt-project.org
Subject: [Interest] qmake's visual studio generator does not handle recursive subdir templates

Dear list,

I hope you can help me in a topic I hit some days ago and cannot find a proper answer myself.

I'm working together with a team on a medium complex project. Our build system is qmake and since some of us had previous experience with cmake, we introduced a project structure with subdirs. It looks similar to the
following:

project.pro (subdirs)
|-- src.pro (subdirs)
    |-- lib1.pro (lib)
    |-- lib2.pro (lib)
    |-- plugins.pro (subdirs)
        |-- plugin1.pro (lib)
        |-- plugin2.pro (lib)
[...]

I think you get the idea. Each folder in turn includes its subfolders, for example:
SUBDIRS += lib1 lib2 plugins

This gives us a nice hierarchical structure and all works nicely as long as we use QtCreator. But some of us prefer to use native IDE's like Visual Studio. When trying to create a Visual Studio solution from the above (with qmake -tp vc -spec win32-msvc2013 -r), a *.sln is created for each subdirs template instead of tracking them as child projects. So project.sln does not contain any projects.

Do we hit a missing feature/bug in qmake or is it me using the subdirs template incorrect?
I got the idea from qtbase which also has recursive subdirs.

Is there anything I can do about it? We are trying to find a workaround, but so far without luck.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers R.

---