[Interest] OS X 10.11 'El Capitan' and Qt 5.5.0 - first experience

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 16:42:42 CEST 2015

Hi all,

a very quick experience feedback for Qt 5.5.0 (stock binary
distribution) on OS X 10.11 'El Capitan':

* I had to uncomment my previous entry QMAKE_MAC_SDK = macosx10.10

IIRC I had to add this entry to my *.pro (qmake project) files for some
previous Qt version (5.4?) which otherwise would default to the SDK
10.9, and hence it would not compile on OS X 10.10 'Yosemite' (with the
above 10.10 SDK entry it would still also compile on 10.9 'Mavericks',
with the then current Xcode version which apparently also shipped an SDK
10.10 - in combination with a QMAKE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.8, off
course).

With the current Qt 5.5.0 and the above entry I now get on 10.11:

  Project ERROR: Could not resolve SDK path for 'macosx10.10'

So uncommenting that entry works (or setting it explicitly to
QMAKE_MAC_SDK = macosx10.11).

(I yet have to verify what happens on 10.9 'Mavericks' if above entry is
uncommented, with Qt 5.5.0).

* Most importantly: Qt applications seem to support "split view"

Yay! Both Qt Creator and my own application (widget based) support the
new OS X 10.11 "split view" feature! I read somewhere that one (probably
of several) preconditions for applications to support "split view" was
that they'd need to support Cocoa's "auto-layout". Seems like Qt apps
just do that (at least from a Cocoa point of view: Qt layouts its
widgets with its own logic anyway).

Case in point: MS Office Word 2011 does /not/ support split view! So it
is not something which is to be expected to work for just any application...

* The compiler which comes with Xcode 7 seems to catch a few more Warnings

I have C++11 support enabled, and the compiler spit out a few "method
not marked as override" Warnings, something which it did not do
previously (on OS X 10.10 or 10.9/Xcode 6.x) (and which I also did not
see so far on Windows/Mingw or Kubuntu 14.04 LTS with the respective
compilers). Nice :)

And as a bonus: the 1000s of bogus (?) warnings which I saw with Qt
5.5.0 initially (on OS X 10.10 for sure - not sure anymore about OS X
10.9) are now gone, too (I heard those Warnings will be fixed with the
upcoming Qt 5.5.1, but they seem to be gone with Xcode 7 as well). Can't
remember anymore what those Warnings were all about, but they originated
from some Qt header, IIRC. You know what I'm talking about when you've
experienced those Warnings ;)

That's all for now, folks.

Cheers, Oliver