[Interest] Well, I'm kind of irritated by QtCreator...

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 20 20:08:29 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 20 October 2015 11:52:55 Bob Hood wrote:
> I'm trying to work on a subproject of a larger application, and I am kind of
> irritated by QtCreator's inability to handle invalid command line
> characters. I cannot change the folder names I must reference for things
> like headers and link libraries, and those paths contain parentheses.
> QtCreator is choking on these characters:

First of all, that's not a Qt Creator problem. Qt Creator just runs make. You
need to blame your buildsystem.

I assume you're using qmake, correct?

>      g++ -c -pipe -g -std=c++0x -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DQT_NETWORK_LIB
> -DQT_CORE_LIB -I../Mediator -I. -I../Source\ (Shared)/Processing/  ...
> /bin/sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>      make: *** [main.o] Error 2
>      10:56:44: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
>
> I cannot change the names of these paths I must reference, nor can I ask
> them to change the folder names to suite my chosen IDE.

Your IDE has nothing to do with this.

> I can escape the
> paths when I am referencing them explicitly (e.g., "../Source
> \\(Shared\\)/Processing/..." seems to work), but when I have to use
> something like $$PWD, everything breaks because the characters are not
> properly escaped.
>
> Any tricks I can apply to overcome this?

Use another tool besides qmake. For example, cmake.

You said you can't change the names. Does that mean the buildsystem existed
before you started using Creator? If so, did it work? That is, if you opened a
terminal and tried to compile, did it succeed? What buildsystem is that?

And what did you do when to open that project in Qt Creator?