[Interest] Memory leak problem in a Qt App

Etienne Sandré-Chardonnal etienne.sandre at m4x.org
Fri Oct 30 15:08:13 CET 2015

Dear all,

I have an app which runs several days executing computation jobs (about one
job every few minutes). In some cases, the memory consumption grows to
several Gb unexpectedly.

I have run valgrind with no success. There was a few minor leaks which were
fixed, but now the valgrind result is 100% clean and the issue is still
there.

However, I'm wondering if this is not due to QObjects which have a parent
but which have been forgotten. It could be anything from QThreads to
QTcpSockets. As they have a parent, they are not leaked in the classical
sense, and will be freed when the app quits, but still they make the
program infinitely eating memory.
Some objects also have no parent (such as the root objects running a
QThread event loop) but have signal/slot connections and thus are still
referenced somewhere in a table, thus defeating valgrind.

Is there any tool for detecting this? Such as one tracking the QObject
tree, or the number of QObject allocated per subclass?

I'm already trying to solve this the classical way, by displaying debug
messages to ensure that objects are deleted, but so far this has been
unsuccessful as the program is quite complex.

Thanks!