[Interest] CLion to replace QtCreator?

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 3 22:41:51 CEST 2016

On 4/3/2016 1:41 PM, Emre Besirik wrote:
>> On 03 Apr 2016, at 22:18, Bob Hood <bhood2 at comcast.net
>> <mailto:bhood2 at comcast.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/3/2016 12:07 PM, Emre Besirik wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>> I know its a little bit off-topic but I was wondering your ideas about the
>>> unpleasentness of coding with QtCreator (no offense, I respect the
>>> creators of the original IDE but..)
>>> So there is this; https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-318 (in case
>>> you didn’t know already) do you support it?
>>> Do you also find it a littlebit unpleasent to code in QtCreator like me?
>>
>> Actually, no I don't. Quite the contrary.  It has actually saved me when
>> I've had to leave Visual Studio to work on OS X and Linux, because--with
>> the right keyboard mapping--it is the closest cross-platform thing I've yet
>> found to the "feel" of Visual Studio, where I spend most of my days.
>>
>> So, I do not agree with you at all.  In may ways, I consider QtCreator to
>> be my home-away-from-home.
>
> Have you ever tried ANY jetbrains product? I do mean just for few days but
> really trying...

I have used PyCharm, but honestly, having a separate IDE just for Python is
not practical since I can develop/debug Python right along side C/C++ in
Visual Studio using an add-in.  If I needed to do so on a non-Windows
platform, then I might not necessarily choose QtCreator.

I'm not saying the JetBrains wares are not good--quite the contrary--but since
I'm a Qt developer, and I have used Visual Studio for decades, the choice of
QtCreator for non-Windows platforms is a no-brainer.  And it's free, just like
JetBrains' offerings (with the right license).

But be aware that you're talking to somebody who has written whole
applications using nothing but vi and a command prompt.  I'm certainly not a
/connoisseur/of IDEs.  ;)