[Interest] CLion to replace QtCreator?

Christian Quast christian.quast at cquast-it.de
Mon Apr 4 15:28:32 CEST 2016

On Sunday 03 April 2016 14:41:51 Bob Hood wrote:
> But be aware that you're talking to somebody who has written whole
> applications using nothing but vi and a command prompt.  I'm certainly
> not a  /connoisseur/of IDEs.  ;)

and I think this is the most important difference in ones opinion about
QtCreator. If I remember correctly, its developers, at the very
beginning, stated that they wanted to develop a lightweight IDE that is
more a fancy text editor and, therefore, keeps out of your way.

I personally find it much more convenient to use than lets say
VisualStudio or Eclipse (for me personally a totally overloaded IDE,
just look at the right click menu). Than again, I currently develop
using Kate (a 'simple' text editor) so my opinion is biased.

However, there, are some annoyances: for me the biggest is refactoring
in VI mode (the most important feature of an editor ever! :) ), which
got a lot better but its still not as good as without VI mode enabled.

Also c++11 'auto' is confusing the IDE, but that might have changed
recently.

best
  Christian