[Interest] CLion to replace QtCreator?

NoMercy nomercy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:19:42 CEST 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Curtis Mitch <mitch.curtis at theqtcompany.com>
wrote:

> [...]

That QtCreator is eons behind current technology and trends, isn't it very
obvious? I would say just checkout features of ANY JetBrains product but
you don't even intend to so you are in therefor denial. (Not personally you
but many people who are objecting these)

> 1. Have you even try to read people's comments on that link I've shared?
> (Yes they are practically begging JetBrains)
>

> I did read the bug report, yep. So what if they’re begging JetBrains?
> Rather than try to shame developers into converting one product into
> another, why not contribute specific features that you think are missing?
> Tell your friends commenting on that bug report that they can write a
> plugin for Qt Creator, and that it’s all open source.

I'm not trying to shame anyone, I'm simply trying to wake people up from
their sleep, trying to convince to look around instead of just accept what
you already have...

> 2. Have you ever used ANY JetBrains product before? for how long? then
> you'll see there the huge difference between JOY of coding and JOB of
> coding.
>

> No, and I have no plans to. I’m not arguing that JetBrains’ product
> doesn’t have good features.

If you accept that JetBrains products have some good features why not
implement those SOME of good features to our QtCreator?

> 3. And yes I don't see any other way IF you want to be part of the
> solution instead of being in denial!
>

> Again, can you tell me what I’m in denial of? If I find something lacking
> with Qt Creator, I file a suggestion or fix it myself if it’s easy enough.
> That’s being part of the solution. Doing what you’re doing in the way
> you’re doing it is textbook “being part of the problem”.

The problem is the lacking things wont come without nothing short of a
revolution. it would take eons just to write whats lacking in QtCreator
(hence eons behind others) thats why I suggested a plugin or a fresh start
with intellij platform. besides it is The Official Qt Company product we
are talking about, while it is good to have the product as open source,
relying solely to contributors for improvement aspecially a revolutionary
and big ones as these is not right. Qt Company should step in, I believe
they are making enough money...

> "and don’t intend on putting in any work yourself, even though it’s an
> open source project."
>
> I would put my work if it would mean something; trying to make such
> revolutionarising move on the existing QtCreator would practically
> re-writing it all from scratch while there are more convinient ways such as
> moving to intellij platform or just simply wrting a plugin for CLion maybe?
>

> Why do you have to re-write Creator from scratch?
>

> If you have a problem with the auto completion in Creator (or any other
> specific problem), file a bug report.

see my previous comment

Regards,

Emre Besirik