[Interest] CLion to replace QtCreator?

Burak Arslan burak.arslan at arskom.com.tr
Tue Apr 5 16:24:26 CEST 2016

On 04/05/16 13:25, Curtis Mitch wrote:

> [...]

You know what I learnt from this thread so far? No one reads the
QtCreator user manual :)

Or I could be using a QtCreator version from the future or something :)

So:

1) [Ctrl+K] : some_function ([column][space]some_function)

searches all (imported) symbols.

2) My QtCreator knows does the right thing when stumbling upon auto,
std::unique_ptr etc and I don't even know which code model I'm using. It
"just worked" for me til today.

3) When you use Alt+Shift to block-select you can perform block edit
like shown in the gifs above.

In Kate, KWrite and friends it's Ctrl+Shift+B to switch selection mode
and same principles start to apply there as well.

4) It's just brain-dead to suggest using a non-Qt ide for Qt. Qt is the
perfect framework for writing an IDE, irrespective of the language
you're aiming for :) JetBrains stuff is only performant in the expense
of a huge memory footprint and relatively longer startup time. This is
of course fine in the age of multi-gigabyte-memory SSD-backed developer
workstations, but don't claim that using Java is NOT a trade-off. No
JetBrains product will work as nicely (or at all) with given only the
resources that Qt Creator is using.

5) Saying "Hey I'm not trying to be hard on [some people] but they suck"
is not less insulting than a straight-up "You suck". I wouldn't expect
the community to fall for this. Come on guys, don't feed the troll :)

Dear Qt Tooling team,

Please ignore the trolls. You are doing a wonderful job. Enjoy the
spring in Berlin :)

Best,
Burak