[Interest] CLion to replace QtCreator?

Martijn Buijs martijn.buijs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:43:26 CEST 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 11:20, Emre Besirik <nomercy at gmail.com> wrote:

> its when you Ctrl / Cmd Click on some function and its already open on the
> other splitview don’t open it in the clicked view, just go to to
> corresponding line on the other screen for example
> its the open documents, tabless views (I know some people don’t like it but
> many people got used to the tabs) I for example like to work with
> implementations in one side and headers other but it is really hard to first
> select the view you want the code to open in, I don’t know how many times I
> opened in the wrong/unintended view, it is not user friendly
> its smart completions, IDE should offer me the most logical things first by
> maybe looking return types, context etc. JB products are very successfull on
> this subject.
> its that searching is not available everywhere,
> its when I search (rather filter in QtC) in preferences it should go the
> extra mile and highlight where it found my keywords, it also should search
> in places like keyboard shortcuts (inside of preferences, deep search), go
> to where its found when I select the preference subject
> its trying to do importing necessary stuff automatically when it can
> its offering quick fixes as much as possible
> its not making me have to use my mouse as much as possible
> its making me use as less (no more than one actually) keystrokes when I’m
> trying to use a keyboard shortcut (double esc’s then something else, Ctrl+e
> then Ctrl+F4 etc…)

If you believe that QtCreator should become a better tool for you than
what it is now, I would suggest starting to write down the issues as
you started doing in the response to Jean-Michaël Celerier and make
sure to take a constructive approach. It's fine to point to another
IDE as an example to describe some functionality that you would like
to have, but leave the pointless judgments that might insult people.

For example in the list above you mention "I for example like to work
with implementations in one side and headers other but it is really
hard to first select the view you want the code to open in, I don’t
know how many times I opened in the wrong/unintended view, it is not
user friendly", I would suggest you to leave out just the part "it is
not user friendly" and instead focus on how everyone can benefit of
your improvement.

One by one these things should be improved, that's the way to benefit
from the existing functionality in QtCreator and the things that can
be learned from new and exciting other IDE's. It's a community
project, not just a company that just decides to do a complete rewrite
of all code. Even company's frequently fail to do such complete
rewrites: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

> see my point? list can go on forever… so logically I can only provide basic
> principles and some good examples or better yet please lets have help from a
> UI/UX expert. They maybe don’t have a magic wand but they have experience on
> explaining these things in words, analyzing power… They can anaylize,
> understand and explain thigns we can only feel...

Rebuilding QtCreator will not magically solve these issues. Even when
1-on-1 copying all functionality of CLion, in the end it will still be
worse, because JetBrains is not waiting for QtCreator to catch up. If
CLion really works great for you, I suggest trying to get support for
Qt in CLion instead of trying to change QtCreator.

Martijn