[Interest] [Qt3D] Render to video

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Apr 18 15:05:48 CEST 2016

Hi,

I think it's possible, although it's not an out of the box feature yet, as
Harald pointed out.

Have a look into this kind of approach:

* Implement something similar to the Scene3DItem that allows to embed Qt 3D
into a Qt Quick 2 scene

* This requires using a little bit of private (for now) API to feed the Qt 3D
renderer your own OpenGL context and to ask it to render when needed.

* Use an FBO (as the Scene3D item does) as the render target - take care to
tell the framegraph the size of this "external" render target.

* Then, once the scene is rendered on your custom context, either:

a) use glReadPixels to grab the contents of the texture you attached to the
FBO and pass it to a software encoder.

or

b) use the texture id to pass the data to a hardware encoder such as nvenc
without needing a round trip from the GPU->CPU->GPU.

I think that can be made to work.

Cheers,

Sean

--