[Interest] [Qt3D] Distance field and texture atlas

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Thu Apr 21 14:34:21 CEST 2016

On Thursday 21 April 2016 12:51:27 Xavier Bigand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any plans to let the user control distance field and texture atlas?
> We are interested by the distance field for text and icons rendering as we
> apply scale and rotation on some small elements. We have to much elements
> to regenerate textures at the right size from svg or ttf, and doing a cache
> can consume a lot of memory.

What do you want to control? QML text elements use a distance field glyph cache
out of the box (unless you force it to native rendering). I think the vertical
size of this is hard wired for now. In theory it could be exposed.

Afaik Image elements don't use a distance field at all, so you would need to
write a custom QQuickItem plus material to make use of distance fields here.

> Texture atlas can also a good thing to improve performances, but with new
> API that are coming like vulkan the interest will decrease, so this feature
> will be interesting only for few years.

That assumes a backend to Qt Quick that uses something which supports bindless
textures.

Cheers,

Sean
--