[Interest] best qt class to use to detect line/polygon/region collision

Viktor Engelmann viktor.engelmann at qt.io
Thu Aug 11 15:16:49 CEST 2016

The sweepline algorithm finds all intersection points in a set of lines
and (IIRC) it has running time O(n*log(n)). I doubt that it is possible
to do faster than that...
Note: there are several different algorithms referred to as "sweepline
algorithm". The sweepline is more of a general approach than a concrete
algorithm.

Viktor

On 09.08.2016 22:38, André Somers wrote:

> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>
> Op 9 aug. 2016 om 22:16 heeft André Somers <andre at familiesomers.nl
> <mailto:andre at familiesomers.nl>> het volgende geschreven:
>

>> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>>
>> Op 9 aug. 2016 om 20:43 heeft maitai <maitai at virtual-winds.org
>> <mailto:maitai at virtual-winds.org>> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>>> Thanks Viktor but my problem is not to detect whether 2 lines are
>>> crossing, it is to avoid looping on 50k lines for nothing ;) My
>>> worst case is when no cross is found and I looked at each and every
>>> line for just nothing.
>>>

>> Then look into spacial data structures to organize your data. In this
>> case, a quad tree structure comes to mind, where you put a pointer to
>> the element (line, polygon) into every bucket it crosses. That uses
>> memory and takes time to set up, but you get very fast lookups in
>> return. QGraphicsView already organizes its contents into a spacial
>> structure btw.
>>
>> André
>
> Ps. Note that your choice of data structure depends heavily on your
> use case. Is your set of data stable or does it change a lot? What is
> the distribution over the space? Is the space bounded or not? What is
> the distribution of sizes of objects in relation with the size of your
> space? Is memory use an issue? Etc. A quad tree may work, but would
> not be the optimal solution for every scenario.
>
> André
>>>
>>> Checking a line is crossing another is really fast and I am not
>>> using QLineF::intersects() for that, because I don't need the
>>> crossing point and I save some cycles not computing it.
>>>
>>> I think Henry's idea is a good one, and it actually save some ms,
>>> but not much because I have already a mechanism with cells and
>>> boundingRects. It all depends if the lines are more on the left (or
>>> right, or up, or down) depending on what criteria is chosen to build
>>> the QMap (x1, x2, y1 ou y2). A double QMap (or more) seems more
>>> expensive than checking a cross on the remaining set, but I will
>>> give it a try. I can spend some cpu time organizing the set of
>>> lines, provided it saves something later when checking a million
>>> random lines for a cross against the set of fixed lines.
>>>
>>> Still working on that.
>>>
>>> Philippe Lelong

Viktor Engelmann
Software Engineer