[Interest] Few questions about Qt Data Visualization

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 20:37:36 CEST 2016

Hi Sean,

Tanks you for the history of Qt Data Visualization, I thought that it was
created before Qt 3D.

I finally choose to use only Qt 3D and Qt Quick Controls 2. It will request
some times to get a good camera controls and a nice interface, but it seems
enough simple to do what I need/want.

Have a good day.

> On 18/08/2016 17:16, Xavier Bigand wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to create a small tool to visualize some 2D or 3D data for
>> debugging our software, actually we are using GeoGebra but it have few
>> issues (can be really slow,...).
>> We mostly need to display points and polygons. It would be great if I
>> can use Qt Data Visualization directly.
>>
>> I need the following features :
>>  - Displaying plots, lines, and ideally 2D polygons (in a 3D space)
>>  - Having labels of all entities displayed at the same time
>>  - Having 3D axes instead of grids displayed in background of the data
>>

>> Does Qt Data Visualization made on top of Qt3D and can be used with it?
>> If I want to add my own meshes in the same view for exemple,...?
>>

> Qt Data Visualization pre-dates Qt 3D so it is not built on top of it. I
> have not tried mixing the two yet so I don't know how easy/hard this would
> be. If you try, please feed back your experiences. Perhaps in the future we
> will build some higher level primitives like Qt Data Visualization has on
> top of Qt 3D but for now we have other priorities such as key frame
> animation support. If you really want such a feature though please file a
> JIRA or contact us.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sean
>
> --
> Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK
> KDAB (UK) Ltd, a KDAB Group company
> Tel. +44 (0)1625 809908; Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090
> Mobile: +44 (0)7545 140604
> KDAB - Qt Experts

Xavier