[Interest] [Qt3D] Info about the robust wireframe shader

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Tue Aug 23 11:08:32 CEST 2016

On Monday 22 August 2016 15:18:37 Catalin Moldovan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to find out more information about the wireframe shading
> technique used in the Qt3D wireframe example (robustwireframe). Is there a
> paper this technique is based on? (Maybe this one from Nvidia ?:
> http://developer.download.nvidia.com/SDK/10/direct3d/Source/SolidWireframe/D
> oc/SolidWireframe.pdf )

Yes that's the original paper it is based upon.

> I want to modify the shader to support Surface_mesh topology, basically I
> want to wireframe quads and triangles but I couldn't figure it out the
> implementation by myself.

One way of doing this is to pass an additional per vertex attribute down the
pipeline and use this to determine which edges should be drawn and which
should not. There is a good blog post on this at:

http://strattonbrazil.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/single-pass-wireframe-rendering_11.html

If you get this to work, please consider contributing a patch to that example.

Good luck,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK