[Interest] QT BLE 4.0 Peripheral Role Full Tutorial or Example

Alan Kennedy kennedya at 3dgames.com.ar
Fri Dec 9 01:48:47 CET 2016

Hi guys,

I've succesfully developed a client (a.k.a central role) with QT Bluetooth
LE SDK to work against some electronics of my own. But now, i need to
implement the Peripheral Role with QT and my custom GATT Profile

So far, i've outlined a very small service that will allow to read and
write the WPA Config for Linux (to setup the WiFi connection of a Raspberry
Pi) using Bluetooth Developer Studio. I've followed the example at the docs
to setup discovery of this service.

bool BluetoothServer::initialize(std::string mac) {

  Logger::addLine("BluetoothServer","Initializing with MAC Address: "+mac);

  // Set mac address
  macAddress = mac;

  // Set BaseStation Bluetooth Address
  QBluetoothAddress address(QString::fromUtf8(macAddress.c_str()));

  // Create Local Device
  localDevice = new QBluetoothLocalDevice(address);
  if (!localDevice->isValid()) {
    Logger::addLine("BluetoothServer","Local Bluetooh device not available.
Aborting");
    return false;
  }

  // Turn Bluetooth on
  localDevice->powerOn();

  // Make it visible to others
  localDevice->setHostMode(QBluetoothLocalDevice::HostDiscoverable);

  QLowEnergyCharacteristicData charDataNetworkSSID;

charDataNetworkSSID.setUuid(QBluetoothUuid(QString("{2A9669DE-9AA3-4304-8E06-B122DBC5991B}")));
  charDataNetworkSSID.setValue(QByteArray(""));
  charDataNetworkSSID.setProperties(QLowEnergyCharacteristic::Read |
QLowEnergyCharacteristic::WriteNoResponse);

  QLowEnergyCharacteristicData charDataPSK;

charDataPSK.setUuid(QBluetoothUuid(QString("{2A963AB9-9AA3-4304-8E06-B122DBC5991B}")));
  charDataPSK.setValue(QByteArray(""));
  charDataPSK.setProperties(QLowEnergyCharacteristic::Read |
QLowEnergyCharacteristic::WriteNoResponse);

  QLowEnergyServiceData serviceData;

serviceData.setUuid(QBluetoothUuid(QString("{2A960000-9AA3-4304-8E06-B122DBC5991B}")));
  serviceData.setType(QLowEnergyServiceData::ServiceTypePrimary);
  serviceData.addCharacteristic(charDataNetworkSSID);
  serviceData.addCharacteristic(charDataPSK);

  if (!serviceData.isValid())
    Logger::addLine("BluetoothServer","LE ServiceData is NOT Valid");

  QList<QBluetoothUuid> servicesList;// = QList<QBluetoothUuid>();
  servicesList <<
QBluetoothUuid(QString("{2A960000-9AA3-4304-8E06-B122DBC5991B}"));

  QLowEnergyAdvertisingData advertisingData;

advertisingData.setDiscoverability(QLowEnergyAdvertisingData::DiscoverabilityGeneral);
  advertisingData.setIncludePowerLevel(false);
  advertisingData.setLocalName("GSense");
  advertisingData.setServices(servicesList);
  lowEnergyController = QLowEnergyController::createPeripheral();
  lowEnergyService = lowEnergyController->addService(serviceData);
  lowEnergyController->startAdvertising(QLowEnergyAdvertisingParameters(),
advertisingData, advertisingData);

  Logger::addLine("BluetoothServer","LE Service ready and awaiting
connections");

  return true;
}

So, it's advertised. Though, when i use a BLE Scanner from an Android
Cellphone and connect to it, it says "Discovering Services" and it does not
show up my custom service . It only shows the Generic Attribute, bla bla.

So the question is, do you guys have a working example as how to get my
service discovered and also provide the callbacks to read and write to my
Characteristics?. I'll keep trying with the documentation looking up the
QLowEnergyService class and so on, but you might have a properly documented
example for the Peripheral Role from start to end.

The doc at: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtbluetooth-le-overview.html just
addresses the Advertisement of a custom GATT and the examples at
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtexamplesandtutorials.html only fully develops the
Central Role AFAIK.

Thanks in advance.

Alan