[Interest] virus warnings

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 01:58:08 CET 2016

On 9 December 2016 at 07:28, Jocala <jocala at jocala.com> wrote:
> Windows 10 Defender is rejecting and deleting my QT 5.6 software. I know the
> end-user workarounds, and I know how to submit false positives. But this is
> happening every freaking time I do a new release. Software is deleted, users
> accuse me of distributing a virus.
>
> Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?  I'm using Qt 5.6
> and mingw49_32

You are not alone, e.g.:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20752237958

There's not much that can be done on the Qt side. Some ideas that could help:

1. Add a prominent notice to your website to alert users about this
known issue and encourage them to update their virus definitions, so
that they don't get a nasty surprise
2. Keep submitting false positives, and encourage your users to do the same
3. Before publishing a release, test run your software on your own
Windows 10 machine with Defender, to see if it complains

> Defender says:
>
> Trojan:win32/Detplock
>
> The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not
> find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer.
>
> Category: Trojan

> attacker.
>

> Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Regards,
Sze-Howe