[Interest] Qt World Summit recordings 2016 are finally here

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Fri Dec 16 21:54:44 CET 2016

> On Dec 16, 2016, at 5:43 AM, alexander golks <alex at golks.de> wrote:
>
> Am Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:21:28 +0000
> schrieb Richard Moore <rich at kde.org>:
>
>> On 16 December 2016 at 12:57, Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com>
>> wrote:

>>> But... why?! And the videos seem to be on Youtube, but private?!
>>>
>>> That's just a really, really, really terrible idea for the Qt community
>>> and ecosystem.
>>>

>> ​I completely agree, that's appalling. I object both as a user and as one
>> of the speakers.
>>
>> Rich.
>
> "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of new fake qt accounts suddenly appeared"
> (loosely based on Obi-Wan Kenobi)
>
> time for a new temp mail account ;)

The videos are restricted to Qt Account holders for now so that The Qt Company can attempt to gather sales leads to support the Qt Commercial offering, which funds development and allows Qt to exist for the benefit of both our commercial customers *and* the Open Source community. Remember that as an Open Source ISV, we have a fundamentally different business model than most software companies, and this creates unique business challenges that we need to find solutions for. At the end of the day, we have operating costs and need to pay our employees. How would you do things differently?

I think that creating fake accounts to view the videos is not necessary. We don't sell your information to third parties; the worst that could happen is we contact you asking if you want to buy a license. I agree it would be more convenient if the videos were public, but I think this is a perfectly reasonable compromise. We will probably make the videos public after a certain period of time anyways (but don't consider this a promise).