[Interest] Qt World Summit recordings 2016 are finally here

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Dec 17 05:18:14 CET 2016

On sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2016 20:54:44 PST Jake Petroules wrote:
> The videos are restricted to Qt Account holders for now so that The Qt
> Company can attempt to gather sales leads to support the Qt Commercial
> offering, which funds development and allows Qt to exist for the benefit of
> both our commercial customers *and* the Open Source community. Remember
> that as an Open Source ISV, we have a fundamentally different business
> model than most software companies, and this creates unique business
> challenges that we need to find solutions for. At the end of the day, we
> have operating costs and need to pay our employees. How would you do things
> differently?
>
> I think that creating fake accounts to view the videos is not necessary. We
> don't sell your information to third parties; the worst that could happen
> is we contact you asking if you want to buy a license. I agree it would be
> more convenient if the videos were public, but I think this is a perfectly
> reasonable compromise. We will probably make the videos public after a
> certain period of time anyways (but don't consider this a promise).

I'm not sure how much conversion you're going to get from that. Most likely,
people who are watching the videos through a Qt account already know about Qt
in the first place and will have already chosen to buy a commercial licence or
not.

At the same time, you're making it impossible for us to spread the word about
Qt and its awesomeness. We can't post links to YouTube and search engines
can't index those videos, showing them to people who are only searching about
Qt or some Qt class.

So, in fact, I'd say you'll generate more commercial licence sales by having
the videos public. Adding a 2-second opening that shows the relevant links and
a closing frame that leads to further information can help this happen much
more effectively.

What's more, it makes it possible for those who aren't working on Qt
professionally and still took the time be there as speakers to show to their
employers (current or future) how important their Qt contributions and
knowledge are.