[Interest] Doing a leanest-possible QtWebEngine build

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Dec 29 10:23:05 CET 2016

On Wednesday 28 December 2016, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my experience qmake applies the compiler flags that were selected when
> QtBase was built. In my case that means they include "-O3 -g". That's fine
> for most projects, but not QtWebEngine, where they stress the build host
> to the limit, and can even lead to memory exhaustion during the final link
> step (on a Linux system with 8G RAM!)
>
> Is there an official way to invoke qmake in such a way as to get rid of all
> the -O3 and -g copies, and convert all -O2 options into -Os?

QtWebEngine is mostly not built with QMAKE but with Chromium's GYP. And it
doesn't use the QMAKE CFLAGS directly. We have a switch to change GYP to use -
Os instead of -O2 however. Just invoke qmake in qtwebengine with
WEBENGiNE_CONFIG+=reduce_binary_size (this is also default for embedded
builds).

Greetings
`Allan