[Interest] Doing a leanest-possible QtWebEngine build

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 17:55:00 CET 2016

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> As you said yourself, something is resetting the flags despite your attempts.
> For a Qt module, you're not supposed to do what you're doing. To simplify
> everything: don't set CXXFLAGS in your environment when compiling qtbase.

That's all nice and well for optimisation and/or debug flags, but

- it'd be pretty damn annoying if you can't build a component because the
official optimisation and/or debug flags lead to memory exhaustion or something
similarly catastrophic.

- it'd be equally annoying if you couldn't build a component because locally
required additional compiler options (which don't change the effect of the
official options) cannot be provided.

Of course you cannot support every possible combination of compiler and compiler
options, but making it hard to set arbitrary options doesn't mean people won't
try, for instance by using a compiler wrapper that does lots of naughty things
behind the scenes.

It'd also be very nice if WEBENGINE_CONFIG+=reduce_binary_size had the intended
effect. In the meantime I'm using a proper kludge where I run strip on every *.
{a,o,so,dylib} file after the build step is done. If memory serves me well that
decreases the build directory on my Mac from a measly 21Gb to a well under a
nanoscopic 1Gb (which could be taken down to about 150Mb with HFS compression if
there were any point in keep the directory around for incremental rebuilds).

If I may daydream a little: one would probably get really lean builds if you
could simply use the WebWhatever libraries already installed via Google Chrome,
Opera or Chromium O:-)