[Interest] QSettings doesn't save settings

Israel Brewster israel at ravnalaska.net
Thu Feb 11 19:50:58 CET 2016

I have an app I built using Qt 5.5.1 on Mac OS X 10.11.1 (and perhaps other versions, but that's where I'm testing), which is sandboxed. When I run the app, it creates the sandbox directory just fine, however QSettings never creates the settings file. I am using QSettings at its most basic form, that is I create the settings object like so:

QSettings settings("israelbrewster","epunchclockstd");

and then use it. However, even if I call sync(), no settings file is ever created, and every time I create a settings object, I get an empty one - none of the settings I have saved ever show up. Calling settings.status() shows "NoError", which doesn't help and obviously isn't correct.

HOWEVER, if I first manually create the settings file from a terminal window, it works fine - settings are saved and can be changed at will. It's just the initial creation that doesn't appear to be working. How can I fix this?

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd