[Interest] Qt 5.6 and DBus under Windows

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 27 03:07:26 CET 2016

On sexta-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2016 15:32:30 PST Roland Winklmeier wrote:
> Hi,

> > When building Qt 5.6 on Windows, there is a new DLL called Qt5DBus.dll
> > which did not exist in past Qt 5.x versions I have built on my machine.
> >
> > Is it a new capability introduced by 5.6 (not mentionned in
> > https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.6
> > )
>
> it was enabled on official Windows binaries for 5.4.1. See
> http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2014-December/019462.html

QtDBus has existed even on Windows since mid-Qt4 days (at least 4.5, probably
since 4.4, possibly even 4.3, but I don't remember it working in 4.2). It's
even been able to run on Windows CE since Qt 4.7. So it's not a new feature
and that's why you don't find it in the new feature list.

The "new feature" was in Qt 5.4.0 when I added the ability for QtDBus to be
compiled without having libdbus-1 present. Then I made that the default in
5.4.1.

You still need the libdbus-1 DLL to be present in order to do anything with
QtDBus. Without it, QDBusConnection will simply report it failed to connect.

The rewrite of QtDBus to work without libdbus-1 has been ongoing for a year,
in my free time. I might finish it for Qt 5.9, but it's unlikely. It all
depends on how widespread kdbus goes on Linux.