[Interest] Replacing icudtXX.dll without rebuilding Qt?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:48:52 CET 2016

Hi all,

In an effort to cut down on the size of the standalone ZIP
distribution of my small command line tool [1] which only uses QtCore,
and which to my knowledge does not depend on any localization
features, I'd like to try replacing the icudtXX.dll that I currently
take from the Qt bin directory with a custom one built using the ICU
Data Library Customizer [2].

My questions are:

1. Is this is safe to to replace icudtXX.dll without replacing the
other two ICU DLLs (icuinXX.dll and icuucXX.dll) and re-building the
Qt library itself?

2. Are the ICU build options / data config used for the ICU DLLs that
comes bundled with official Qt builds documented somewhere? I tried
looking in the `qtqa` repo, but found no ICU build scripts or similar
there. I know that Qt hosts some pre-built ICU version at [3]. Are
these the ones shipped with official Qt builds? If so, how were they
built?

I'm currently using MSVC on Appveyor to build my standalone ZIP, and
I'm using the official builds of Qt. I know I can completely cut out
the dependency on ICU by re-building Qt, but I'm looking for solution
where I don't have to do that.

If it's unsafe to replace icudtXX.dll without also re-building Qt,
I'll abandon the idea. If it's possible if I also replace the other
two ICU DLLs, then I'll consider it.

I know people don't really care if the size of a package is 4 MB or 11
MB, but it just feels a bit silly that 60% of the binaries in my
package are not really needed.

Thanks in advance.

Elvis

[1] https://github.com/estan/protoc-gen-doc