[Interest] Video file generation from Qt application, other than FFmpeg

Phil Weinstein philw at indra.com
Fri Jan 22 21:30:31 CET 2016

Jason, could you, or someone else elaborate on what this means?  I am
now seeing, in Qt 5.5, the QMediaRecorder class (not in Qt4) ...
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5.5/qmediarecorder.html ... Use of this for
recording video seems to need us to set the "codec" /by name,/ somehow
found on the system, I guess.  (Our desktop application is now strictly
on Windows, using Qt widgets).

Is the "codec" issue what you are referring to when you say /"your
platform must support it."/  What is this about, and is this something
we will be able to distribute and deploy with our Qt application?  How
can one get a view of the supported video codec's on a machine?  Where
do they come from?  Are there non-default Qt build configuration
switches required to enable video file creation functionality?  (If I'm
understanding correctly).  And more fundamentally, is QMediaRecorder
what you are looking at when you say, /"of course"?/

That's a lot of questions.  Thank, you, anyone, in advance, for helping
me understand this.
- Phil