[Interest] Qt component repositories (was: Re: QtArg version 2.0.0)

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Tue Jan 26 23:27:04 CET 2016

On Tuesday 26 January 2016 13:24:26 André Somers wrote:
> Op 26/01/2016 om 13:00 schreef Ben Lau:
> > Moreover, will you consider to publish your library on qpm.io
> > <http://qpm.io> ?
>
> What's the difference between qpm.io and inqlude.org?

qpm is a package manager, so it is able to build packages, share them via
qpm.io, install them, and handle dependencies. Something which is solved in
the ecosystems of node, ruby, etc., but not so much in Qt or C++. qpm could
fill this gap.

Inqlude is about handling meta data of Qt libraries. It's not supposed to be a
package manager, but to integrate with package managers, so that e.g. on a
Linux distribution it would use the native package manager such as RPM to
install library packages. It could also use qpm.

So I don't think these are conflicting projects, but they augment each other.
qpm could use inqlude's meta data to provide access to more software, and
inqlude could use qpm to help users to install packages.

qpm currently has 19 libraries listed, inqlude has pretty much everything
which is there in terms of libraries built on Qt, it currently lists 196
libraries.

I think it would be great to work together to give application developers the
best possible access to what the Qt ecosystem has to offer.