[Interest] Utilizing the GPU, how to start?

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Wed Jul 6 12:26:07 CEST 2016

On 06/07/2016 10:41, John C. Turnbull wrote:
> Thanks - great to hear!
>
> I am a firm believer in the significance that Vulkan will play in the
> future of GPU based applications.

That's also my view. However, we are not yet at the stage where the
graphics API is the bottleneck for most work loads, especially with Qt
Quick. Even in Qt 3D we are still bottle-necked by the CPU work that
needs to be done prior to the CPU load of submitting the actual OpenGL
calls.

For Qt Quick there is a lot of lower hanging fruit to be tackled than
providing a Vulkan backend. Laszlo is doing great work in abstracting
the Qt Quick renderer to make it work with other backends which will
enable a Vulkan renderer in the future - along with DX12 and Metal.

Qt 3D already has an architecture that would make it relatively easy to
add backends for other graphics API but again, we have plenty of other
stuff to tackle before OpenGL becomes the bottleneck. Especially since
Qt 3D can already take advantage of instanced rendering, compressed
textures, texture arrays, UBOs and compute shaders. Until we can be
convinced that Vulkan would remove a large bottle neck we will likely
continue adding more features, examples, documentation, fixing bugs and
optimising performance. But rest assured, Vulkan is on the radar.

Cheers,

Sean