[Interest] When does Qt load its plugins?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:34:25 CEST 2016

I'm working on packaging an application using QtWidgets as an AppImage
and I'm looking at which of the Qt plugins I must bundle.

I'll run an strace while using the application, but I thought I'd also
ask here: When in general does Qt load its plugins? For some plugins
(such as the platform plugin), I expect it to be quite early. But what
about imageformat plugins, is there a policy that they be loaded as
late as possible?

In short I'm wondering if I must use every nook and cranny of the
application during my strace run, to catch all plugins, or if it's
enough to say wait until the QApplication and QMainWindow is up.

Thanks in advance,
Elvis