[Interest] Statically linking an open-source application with Qt?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 26 18:44:49 CEST 2016

Em terça-feira, 26 de julho de 2016, às 17:15:55 PDT, Vik k escreveu:
> Hey, I wrote an open source application using Qt and now I want to
> statically link it to the Qt library. My question is, is it legal to do so?

Yes. Whenever you use Qt (or any software you didn't write, for that matter),
you have to comply with the terms of the licence. In Qt's case, you can choose
either the GPLv2 or LGPLv3 licences, or the commercial one if you want.

Supplying the sources to your application is enough to comply with the
requirements of either open source licence. But I advise that you read it and
make your own opinion about it.

Possibly ask a lawyer to interpret it for you. Relying on random people on the
Internet to give you advice on legal matters is not a good idea. This is not
legal advice and I'm not a lawyer.