[Interest] 5.8 Features?

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:26:18 CEST 2016

Like you said I think that the iOS and Android progress too fast and on an
other cadence than Qt.
We should not forget that Qt has to create a unified cross platform API,
that is necessary harder than creating a new one for one platform.

I think that a latency of 6 months to a year is still reasonable for Qt
depending on how it fall with releases.

In my opinion if you need something faster, you may have to consider to
implement features your self. We started our application with 4.8 and
necessitas and Qt was much slower than now to integrate new features
provided by mobile devices. Some features like DPI retrieving wasn't
correctly implemented so because it was a blocker for us, we fixed it by
calling the native API on Android.

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:55 PM, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
> > I feel like the last few releases have been run by the trolls, and not
> the users of Qt. I was hoping open governance would enable the community to
> direct Qt development, but I seem to have misinterpreted what it means. I'm
> looking for what's going into 5.8.. not much listed on the releases page.
> >
> > I'd like to suggest that mobile get some much needed love.
> > - Application state transitions; Foreground, background
> > - Background processing API
> > - Screen wake lock API
> > - In-app Notifications: local, remote
> >
> > While I have those characterized as "mobile" there are things like
> notifications occurring on desktop platforms.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> Agree with Jason that mobile support needs more love
> and adding "Native, native, native ..."
>
> However, it could be that progress made at iOS and Android side is too
> fast and
> our expectations from Qt are too high?
>
> As any cross-platform framework Qt has its limitations.
> Still, it has good integration points to allow additions of native code.
>
> jm4c to add.
>
> Kind regards,
> Robert

Xavier