[Interest] Translating plural with is/are

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Mon Mar 7 20:37:24 CET 2016

 It is up to the person filling the
> translation file with translations (including the one for English) to
> make sure that both versions of the definitive string are provided in
> the .ts file.
>
> André

André and Thiago, thanks for clarifying that.

I figured there was some type of string parsing logic that was going on, not that the system would generate a translated string for each possible pluralization. The source of my confusion comes from:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/i18n-source-translation.html : Handling Plurals where the French and English both end in 's' in the plural case, and (s) in the translation string is what was being added.

I now understand that is wrong, that it is just looking it up in a translation table, and that "(s)" does not specify the string alteration. I would assume then that the 3-parameter tr() call is what signifies that it is to be pluralized?

Many thanks for unconfusing me. :-)