[Interest] Translating plural with is/are

Scott Aron Bloom scott at towel42.com
Tue Mar 8 20:26:49 CET 2016

> Op 08/03/2016 om 18:17 schreef Thiago Macieira:
> > On terça-feira, 8 de março de 2016 09:06:14 PST Frédéric Marchal wrote:
> >> If for instance I write tr("%n whatever rubbish I type here", "",
> >> n) and the translator decides to translate "%n whatever rubbish I
> >> insert here" with "One message was saved" for singular and "%n
> >> messages were saved" for plural, then, the user will see those last
> >> two strings. The user will never see the original "%n whatever rubbish I insert here"
> >> string from the source code.
> > When Nokia used Qt, we used to call this translating from
> > "Engineering English" to "proper English". In some projects, the
> > source strings always started with "!!", which helped identify what
> > wasn't yet translated in pre- release builds.
> >
> That's actually pretty nice. Also helps to automatically find missing
> translations popping up in the GUI using Squish or a similar tool.

That's the kind of insight that should be documented :-) It's a fantastic idea that isn't obvious at first.

In a previous project, we did this for EVERY string though we used "## String data ##" for the same reason.

However, it wasn’t just for engineering-ese to English, we sold our product as an OEM, with various final "owners" and "product names".

So we would translate the text "PRODUCT" and "COMPANY" for each customer/product, loaded via a qrc file at compile time, but ship translation files for foreign languages as on demand external files.

Scott