[Interest] load average building QtWebEngine

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Mar 19 23:47:11 CET 2016

On Saturday 19 March 2016, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This seems a bit silly to ask, but I'm seeing extremely high load averages:
> 60.74 53.07 41.45 building QtWebEngine (about 8100 files in). That's on a
> 2 core, 2 thread i7, with the build started with make -j4 . I'm indeed
> seeing more than 4 concurrent clang processes and nothing else that takes
> anywhere near the CPU load to drive me up to insane values like >40 over
> the last couple of minutes.
>
> It looks like there's only a single ninja process being spawned from one of
> the Makefiles, so it's not like there are 4 of those that each decide to
> build using 4 or 5 parallel processes.
>
> Curious. And probably not speeding up the build ...

It only launches one ninja process, and ninja guesses the number threads
itself by using cpuinfo (unless you control it with NINJAFLAGS), but that
can't get load to 60. I would guess the load is not from CPU, but maybe memory
load, if you start swapping other processes could end up waiting on swapped
out memory, which could theoretically get the load to 60.

Regards
`Allan