[Interest] Qt 5.6.0 on iOS - QGeoPositionInfoSource issues

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 25 06:08:53 CET 2016

Hi there,

I run an interesting little project that provides an application across quite a few different OSs - with a Qt/QWidget UI for Windows, Mac, and various Linux flavors, and a QML UI (with currently significantly limited functionality) that can be built for Mac and Linux, but that is mainly targeted at Android and iOS. Our Android app has been in testing for a while and was recently released and QGeoPositioningInfoSource there seems to be doing what I expected it to do, but on iOS (our newest platform where we just started beta testing) I'm running into some problems:

a) on iPads without GPS (so only WiFi location guestimation), supportedPositioningMethods() returns  QGeoPositionInfoSource::AllPositioningMethods, therefore claiming that there are satellite based positioning methods available, even though there clearly aren't.

b) regardless of the update interval given via setUpdateInterval() the application receives a nearly constant flow of positionUpdated() signals - usually more than once a second

c) even though the Info.plist file contains
        <key>NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription</key>
        <string>Explanation why</string>
the position information service stops the moment the application is no longer running in the foreground (and resumes once the application is in the foreground again)

Looking at the ObjectiveC APIs for position services on iOS neither of these three issues are platform limitation. iOS clearly tells an app whether a satellite based position service is available, iOS allows positionUpdates to be delayed both by time interval and (that's something I'd love to see in the Qt API) by geo-fencing, specifically distance from the last fix. And iOS allows applications to continue to receive position updates in the background and when the phone is asleep (that's the perfect of the Info.plist key mentioned under c).

Any help addressing these issues would be extremely welcome!

Thanks

/D