[Interest] [probably OT] full screen on X with no window manager

Francisco Ares frares at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:25:31 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have managed for a few years now an embedded product, running on a Intel
x64 system, on Linux (Gentoo distro).

Up to now, it has worked just fine.

I am preparing on a new overall version, Qt 5.4, kernel 4.1.5, Xorg server
and drivers 1.17.

The application, now, does not paint correctly on the screen. It is
configured to open itself as full screen, it prints on console the correct
video resolution as expected, places initial splash apparently centered (as
just a part of it is painted), but does not paint beyond the original size
of the main widget, which was originally created as 800 x 600, expandable,
looking like it did not really expanded to full screen as the first GUI
setup and latter "

As the full screen resolution is correctly detected, I have tried to force
the main widget, using "setGeometry", tried some Qt::WindwoFlags, with no
success, yet.

There are, indeed, two applications running, a first one, called a
"monitor", is quite simple, and it launches the main application,
monitoring its exit status; if all is ok, the main application leaves with
no error code - as for system power off - and the monitor starts its own
exit procedure too. If an error occurs on the main application, the monitor
starts it all over again. Even this simple application, which just show a
full screen background and the company logo at the bottom right corner of
the full screen area, finds this corner almost at the center of the monitor
screen, and it does not paint the screen beyond that.

But if I run any of the applications inside a "WindowMaker", for instance,
it works as expected.

What does the window manager offers to the application that it does not
find on "bare metal" X ?  What can I do to provide it?

Thank you in advance,
Francisco