[Interest] Qt3D - Render to QImage

Philip Schuchardt vpicaver at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 03:23:59 CET 2016

I'm trying to port my OpenGL code (https://github.com/Cavewhere/cavewhere/)
to use Qt3D. I think Qt3D will allow me to quickly improve and modify my
rendering pipeline. The one requirement I need is to be able to render to a
QImage and save it to disk. Currently, have a method that renders
high-resolution images from OpenGL. I do this by tiling a projection matrix
and rendering the scene one tile at a time and combining them into on huge
PNG. The problem is I'm not sure how to render Qt3D pipeline to a texture
and then download if from the GPU into memory in Qt3D. Is there an easy way
to do that? Do I need to create my own Aspect?

Also, many parts of the documentation seem to be missing, very light, and
not up to the same standard as the rest of Qt's documentation.  Perhaps,
I'm just missing something from the undocumented documentation.

Thanks,