[Interest] full screen desktop app without any desktop manager in Linux

Francisco Ares frares at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:33:05 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm still using Qt 4.8.6 in an embedded solution, using Linux and Xorg
server.  Nowadays, I'm feeling the pressure to move to recent versions of
Qt 5 due to all new and pretty interesting stuff.

This app must fill all video monitor area, despite its resolution and
format. And as an embedded solution, where there is no pointing device nor
conventional keyboard - the user interface is accomplished by using a
specialized keypad, interacting through a serial port - there is no need
for nor any form of interaction with a window manager.

One of the things that keeps me away of newest versions is that this code,
running on top of 4.8.6, on the main window, issuing a ...

setWindowState(Qt::WindowFullScreen)

... this is enough to do what it is expected for the statement and for the
whole app.

Running this app built on top of Qt 5.6.1 does not work the same way.  When
there *is* a window manager, as in my debug/test system, it works as
expected, but if I start X and then run the app (as I did when it was built
on top of Qt 4.8.6), the binary built with 5.6.1 doesn't expand its
painting to the full monitor size, although placing splashes centered on
the monitor does work, so it knows about the monitor size after all.

Is there any alternative?  I tried to set the geometry, but painting still
gets limited to the original size of the unexpanded main window.

Any ideas or hints are pretty welcome.  Or could this be considered a bug,
after all?

Thanks,
Francisco