[Interest] License regarding question

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 30 01:27:11 CET 2016

On terça-feira, 29 de novembro de 2016 17:51:28 PST Jake Petroules wrote:
> See, this is why we need to make submissions on JIRA require signing the
> CLA. People simply don't want to go through the Gerrit hassle for drive-by
> contributions.

I'm not sure we should accept drive-by contributions in general. There are
some drawbacks to it too.

First, there's the shift in responsibility to getting a proper change through
the review procedure. If the contribution comes via Gerrit, a reviewer can
point out where to improve the change so it can be accepted. In fact, even the
sanity bot can provide advice. None of that exists in the attachment.

Second, if we do go through it, reporters must understand that their change is
a mere suggestion. The developer pushing the change through the review can use
it or not. That means attaching a patch is no guarantee that the bug will be
fixed: if the patch is not acceptable, it doesn't fix the bug.

On the other hand, this is a new way of attracting contributors: people who
take patches from others and reformat them to the Qt coding style, write
proper commit messages and changelogs, etc.